The Anatomy Of The Bicep
The flexors of the elbow consist of three muscles that are involved in the bicep stretch, and include:
- Biceps brachii
The muscle that most people know about is the biceps brachii, or more commonly just called the biceps. It is made up of two heads, which mean there are two attachment points on the processes of the scapula (shoulder blade). They unite and then attaches primarily to the radius.
Benefits To The Bicep Stretch
This bicep stretch will help improve and maintain the function of the muscle. As mentioned before, the biceps brachii has attachments in the shoulder complex, and, therefore, can also help with your shoulder and chest function.
By taking the time to perform this stretch it will help in the prevention of not only bicep injury, but also reduce your chances of hurting your shoulders and/or chest.
Bicep Stretch Exercise
- Place your hand on a table with your palm facing up and shoulder your back.
- With bent knees, square step forward with the opposite leg until you feel a stretch in your biceps.
- Hold the stretch for 20-30 seconds.
Don’t miss out!
Subscribe to our newsletter to get your free copy of our stretching guide and get notifications when we make a new post to help you reach your fitness goals.
- Howley, E. T., & Franks, B. D. (2007). Fitness Professional’s Handbook (5th ed.). Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.
- Moore, K. L., & Dalley, A. F. (2006). Clinically Oriented Anatomy (5th ed.). Baltimore, MD: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Nieman, D. C. (2011). Exercise Testing and Prescription: A Health-Related Approach (7th ed.). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.
- Sá, M. A., Neto, G. R., Costa, P. B., Gomes, T. M., Bentes, C. M., Brown, A. F., et al. (2015, Mar 29). Acute Effects of Different Stretching Techniques on the Number of Repetitions in A Single Lower Body Resistance Training Session. Journal of Human Kinetics , 177–185.
- Sherwood, L., & Kell, R. (2010). Human Physiology: From Cells to Systems, First Canadian Edition. Toronto, ON: Nelson Education.